Username Password: Remember me

UKARA registration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: UKARA registration

UKARA registration 4 years, 3 months ago #1284

• Frog
  • Recruit
Hello every1. Can i use (not purchase) a rifle without ukara registration that isnt a two-tone and after 3 games get UKARA membership?

One more question. Why so low fps limit? It is really difficult to find a gun that has 350 fps Most of them have 400-600 fps

Cheers
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Frog.
The topic has been locked.

Re: UKARA registration 4 years, 3 months ago #1295

• Stevo47
  • Corporal
  • PEW PEW
just got the airsoft bug and have been spending a lot of time looking for a nice shiny gun to buy, 99% AEGs seem to be under 400fps unless it's custom build or upgraded... what sort of guns or website have you been looking at Frog?
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Stevo47.

Re:UKARA registration 4 years, 3 months ago #1296

• Evansy
  • Private
It's not just sites that won't let you use 400fps guns. It's the police and government too.

Re:UKARA registration 4 years, 3 months ago #1297

Frog wrote:
Hello every1. Can i use (not purchase) a rifle without ukara registration that isnt a two-tone and after 3 games get UKARA membership?

One more question. Why so low fps limit? It is really difficult to find a gun that has 350 fps Most of them have 400-600 fps

Cheers

Hi Frog,

Welcome to the site and hope you have lots of fun in all your airsoft play.

To buy a Realistic Imitation Firearm (RIF) in the UK you must be a registered airsofter, that is to say a member of a site that has 3rd party public liability insurance. Joining a site that is part of the UKARA will provide you with handy proof of this status.

To use a RIF you need not be a registered airsofter, however be aware that "long term loans" and "free gifts" could well still be construed as a purchase... best not take the risk.

Once you have played 3 games at such a site in no less than 2 months you may apply for UKARA registration, a service that Brit-Tac provide. Please note that your "UKARA number" is site specific and non-transferable.

The fps limits you encounter at sites in this country are set by the terms of insurance, and the absolute limit for an AEG/Gas powered weapon in the UK is 350fps unless the insurance explicitly states otherwise.

Single shot, bolt action weapons may be used upto a limit of 500fps along with a 20m minimum engagement distance. Again this is an insurance and safety issue. For your information, things such as the PSG-1 and L1A1 are not covered by this arrangement as they are AEGs with a permanent single shot feature, not single shot bolt action weapons.

As Steveo says, most stock weapons are around 300-350 when bought off the shelf, although everyone knows a story about a Chinese import that was doing 450+ fps out of the box...

Different sites may employ local rules for regular or team players, but the information above is the norm, as it is at Brit-Tac. Have you got your eye on a particular AEG or rifle?

Best wishes,

Dan

Re:UKARA registration 4 years, 3 months ago #1298

• Evansy
  • Private
Danny Boy wrote:
The fps limits you encounter at sites in this country are set by the terms of insurance, and the absolute limit for an AEG/Gas powered weapon in the UK is 350fps unless the insurance explicitly states otherwise.
The limits at sites are due to insurance. The legal limit is above that (380fps or so, I can't remember the exact figure atm) at which point it becomes a firearm and is subject to all the fun laws which cover those.

Single shot, bolt action weapons may be used upto a limit of 500fps along with a 20m minimum engagement distance. Again this is an insurance and safety issue. For your information, things such as the PSG-1 and L1A1 are not covered by this arrangement as they are AEGs with a permanent single shot feature, not single shot bolt action weapons.
Again the 500fps is a site insurance based limit. The legal limit on single action rifles is a grey area as they are above the 380fps limit which technically makes them air weapons like air rifles and as such could technically be 12ft/lbs for a rifle and 6ft/lbs for a pistol but I for one wouldn't want to be the one testing the legal standing on that.
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Evansy.

Re:UKARA registration 4 years, 3 months ago #1310

Evansy wrote:
Danny Boy wrote:
The limits at sites are due to insurance. The legal limit is above that (380fps or so, I can't remember the exact figure atm) at which point it becomes a firearm and is subject to all the fun laws which cover those.

Again the 500fps is a site insurance based limit. The legal limit on single action rifles is a grey area as they are above the 380fps limit which technically makes them air weapons like air rifles and as such could technically be 12ft/lbs for a rifle and 6ft/lbs for a pistol but I for one wouldn't want to be the one testing the legal standing on that.

Evansy,

Having read and re-read your reply, I am not quite sure what point you are making, other than to repeat and agree with what has been written here already.

The legal limit is not a grey area at all, I just think that it is irrelevant to this discussion and rather than bombard users with a wide array of figures, I have highlighted, explained and clairifed the numbers from the original question. Anything that falls outside that range is not appropriate for use at an airsoft site in the UK due to the insurance and safety considerations.

Dan
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds